Another breast MRI

Dr. Li scheduled me a breast MRI to get some pictures on how well the chemo is working. I know the chemo is working, because I can feel the difference in my breast, but he needs some documentation so it’s off to the Hamot Heart Institute for another MRI.

I forgot you’re not allowed any metal in an MRI machine, so not only did I get the awesome hospital shirt, but a pair of scrubs on the bottom. I also brought a knit hat for my nearly bare head. The hospital rooms are kept really cold so the equipment works best and I knew all that cold air blowing on my head would be quite chilly. At the same time, my usual hats wouldn’t work since the brim would get in the way when I lay down. Knit beanie hat it is, then.

All set to go into the MRI.

All set to go into the MRI. Such an awesome look, don’t you think?

The MRI was much better this time than the first time, and I have the technician to thank. She told me whenever a new scan would start and how long the scan would last. I learned all the quiet times were in between scans and each set of noises was a different type of scan. I also was easier to deal with the noises when I knew they wouldn’t last more than five minutes, although most of the scans were shorter.

I was a little worried about my drippy nose while I was laying on my stomach in the MRI. Without any nose hair, my nose drips nearly constantly. Laying on my stomach without the ability to move my arms could be a recipe for snot disaster. We put a couple of tissues on the table under my face to catch any drips. Turns out the rooms are not only cold but dry so no drips the whole time I was in the machine. As soon as I stood up, I had snot dripping out of my nose, but there are boxes of tissues everywhere so I was covered.

Side notes:

A friend and I were discussing how ugly most hospital gowns are, and this was no exception. Check out the pattern on my gown:

The pattern on my hospital gown.

The pattern on my hospital gown.

Someone obviously made it and chose it and thought it was a good choice. Really? It’s a weird light gray gown with random squares on it. Not anything anyone would choose to wear on purpose.

I also learned why they put that huge square of gauze under a bandaid that is so uncomfortable whenever you get a needle stick. The technician told me, after she unhooked the IV for the contrast, to leave the gauze on for a few hours since it was providing pressure to prevent bruising. Gotcha! I always wondered why I didn’t just get a bandaid, and now I know. (And knowing is half the battle.)